Friday, November 20, 2009

Mt. Major 11/7/09


Difficulty: Moderate (steep and rough especially on ledges)


Directions: From Alton, NH take Rt. 11 West and follow it for about 6 miles. Trail head parking lot is on the left (blue sign)
Report: With Scott down for the count with the flu I figured I would tag along with parents and hike Mt. Major in order to still get out and get some hikn' done. I met them at the lot at 9:10am, there were already a dozen cars there on this sunny day. Off we went keeping to the right of the forks which are now blocked on the left sides. My father 53 year old father kept a quick pace jogging back and forth at times I kept up to about half way, but I am not used to that pace and don't have the cardio stamina he does so I dropped back with mom. We past but a couple people and only a couple at the top (others must have went on to the other peaks).
Views were outstanding. It has been two years since I have been up on my hometown mountain and that was before I new the WMNF peaks as well as I do now. I didn't realize how many are visible from this bald peak. To the NorthEast was snow capped Moosilauke, then Sandwich Dome, Whiteface, Passaconaway, Snow capped Monroe & Washington and then the Ossipee range. About 5 minutes rest then back down. We arrived back near the bottom when the crowds began to shuffle in.

I took pics on the way down of boulders and one imparticular rock that has a root fossil which I remember from years back as a kid...always been one of my favorite trail features (besides the enormous amount of boulders). Back at the now almost full lot a group grabbed our attention. They were about 15 Chinese people, in a circle doing stretches with the leader yelling out words in there native tongue. Looked like Chinese boot camp, good for them We arrived back at the car 10:20, just over an hour, awesome Now off to meet my brother where we got breakfast (Spanish Eggs Benidict for me, Mm, Mm, Mm!)

I must say I missed this mountain and plan to spend some time on it this winter. Still a great trail despite the large amount of traffic and the view is always fabulous.
Pics of this hike here> http://www.flickr.com/photos/excape1/sets/72157622754245970/

No comments:

Post a Comment